“Gratitude is an opener of locked-up blessings” Marianne Williamson
Last week I suggested that practicing gratitude could be our focus throughout July. What I mean by that is to start a daily ritual of actively being thankful for everyone and everything in your life. I have found this to be such a powerful tool for well-being and a positive mind-set.
Instead of an audio meditation this month, I have listed some of the tools I use to practice gratitude in my life. I don’t use all of them every day but try to do at least one daily. Next week, I will also tell you about a more in-depth practice I use a few times a year.
When you start your practice, you might like to use just one method and stick to it every day, perhaps at the same time, until it becomes habit.
Tools For Actively Practicing Gratitude Daily
- Feel how wonderful it is that you get to wake and see another day. Say THANK YOU, out loud, for this privilege
- Take three deep, cleansing breaths. With each inhale think ‘THANK’ and with each exhale think ‘YOU’
- Bring to mind three people or things you are thankful to have in your life. Keeping these things or people in mind, send out a deep and heartfelt THANK YOU
During the Day:
- Lie on the grass and take three deep, cleansing breaths. Allow your body to sink into the earth. Feel how the earth is holding you. Offer a heartfelt THANK YOU to the beautiful earth that constantly carries our weight
- Find a tree and sit against it, or indeed hug it! Say THANK YOU to this beautiful being for its part in giving you oxygen and bringing you life
- Sit outside and feel the sun on your face. Allow yourself to truly feel the beautiful beams of light all over your body. Send out a deep-felt THANK YOU to the sun for its part in the cycle of life
- Take a blanket outside and lie under the stars. Feel the vastness of the universe all around you. Feel how incredible it is that you get to be a part of this amazing experience we call life. Send out a deep-felt THANK YOU to every part of the universe that makes it possible for you to be here, living this life, on this planet, at this time
- Gratitude Journal: Write three things/people/activities/experiences you are grateful for that happened during the day. Continue to add to the list every night, soon you will have a notebook of THANK YOUs!
- When you lay down in bed, bring your attention to each part of your body from your toes to your head. Say THANK YOU to your body for moving you and helping you to experience life that day
These are just a few ideas to get you started on your Gratitude Practice. Remember to also turn your thanks inwards, acknowledging your talents and gifts!
“If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.”
Rabbi Harold Kushner
We all truly have SO much to be thankful for- I know almost everybody reading this post will not have to scratch the surface of their lives too deep to find a myriad of things and people to be grateful for. So, good luck starting your Gratitude Practice. I hope it brings much positivity into your life.
And a heart-felt THANK YOU to each and every one of you that has taken the time to read this post!
With love and light,
Image from https://pixabay.com/en/heart-castle-love-padlock-fence-268151/